An often overlooked factor of a successful site is its performance. Not only google loves fast loading sites. Building a lightning fast website should be one of your top goals when you are serious about SEO. Google, Bing, Yahoo and most important - your visitors care about site speed so make sure you're not missing this factor. It can take hours to fix all issues and improve the site's loading time as much as possible.
A fast site will also improve your conversion rates:
- Amazon found every 100ms of latency cost them 1% in sales.
- Google found an extra 0.5 seconds in search page generation time dropped traffic by 20%
People don't have time so build a fast site! The internet will appreciate it.
WEBSITE SPEED CHECK TOOLS
We cannot guess the site speed so let's make a website speed test with these online tools - just enter your URL and let them work.
- Google Page Speed Insights - try to get at least 82\100 for the desktop rating. Mobile should also be above 70\100. The higher the better. Follow the suggestions from that tool and fix your site where possible. Talk to your server admin about response time and setting up a content delivery network
- Web Page Test / pingdom / LoadImpact - These sites checks many performance factors and how fast your site is delivered. A lot of technical infos but the tab "Performance Review / Page Analysis" should get you going where to start working. In general it checks for CDN availablility, server speed, file compressions and static content.
There are many more sites which are doing website speed tests but with google page speed insights we got some on-page speed optimization factors and the others help us to find server issues. Focus on google insights and if you reach 90\100 you're good to go.
QUICK SITE PERFORMANCE CHECKLIST
- Add a content delivery network option to your site - files get read simultaneously thus load faster.
- Use static content and cache your files as much as possible - check out W3 Total Cache plugin for WordPress
- Compress all images via tinypng.com (or tinyjpg.com)
- Talk to your server admin - optimize htaccess, apache configs, browser caching, gzip compression, server side caching etc.