The meta description is placed in your page'ssection. Google shows that text in their search results. Always manually write a custom description for each page which clearly describes the content. If no description tag is found google will generate one and that may lead to non-related description.
<meta name="description" content=" ... "/>
HOW TO WRITE GOOD META DESCRIPTIONS
- Keep it below 155 characters
- Clearly describe the content
- Tag and seperate content: Price: $2.99, Author: JohnDoe
- Add a call-to-action to make people click on the link
- Provide a solution or benefit to your audiences' problem
- Add WordPress Plugin SEO from Yoast to easily write custom descriptions for each post
The meta description is NOT a ranking factor, though it's considered for advanced search queries and somehow affects the click through ration which may positively influence your ranking.So where's the point for the extra work?
WHY YOU SHOULD USE IT
- With a good Call to Action copywriting your click through ratio will improve ( Click Here for FREE Samples)
- Social networks like Google+, Facebook, Digg, LinkedIn grab the meta description when your url is shared
- Give searchers another reason to visit your site - It's your sales pitch which may win against your competitor
WHAT YOU SHOULD AVOID IN YOUR DESCRIPTION
- Do not spam your keywords - People actually read that - searchengines will penalize you!
- Do not write misleading summaries
- Do not use the same description for different pages - avoid dublication
- Not providing any related infos about your page's content
- Leave it empty - Google will pick something which may be your copyright footer in worst case
Check your site's meta description: